Friday, July 20, 2012

Stephen R. Covey—Memory of a Great Human Being

Stephen CoveyDr. Stephen R. Covey passed away this week. He authored a number of great books on relationships, leadership, and habits of highly effective people. I knew him personally. He and my father went to college together and affiliated in several on-campus groups. I attended several of his lectures and seminars. He usually remembered my father and recognized me. I last met with him two years ago when the Utah Valley Chapter of the BYU Management Society (I serve on the board) awarded him its Pioneer in Leadership Award.

More Than 7 Habits

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People established his global reputation.  The Christian Science Monitor states that the book sold more than 20 million copies in 40 languages. The book created a common vocabulary and view of leadership. Because of Stephen Covey, we changed our paradigms, became proactive, began with the end in mind, put first things first, and more. He added an 8th Habit after meeting Dr. Mohammed Yunus of Grameen Bank. The 8 habits contribute to much of my personal and business success.

Stephen Covey taught more than just habits. His books Principle-Centered Leadership, Spiritual Roots of Human Relations, The Divine Center, and more inspired millions of people to change their lives. He helped many people find greater satisfaction and balance in their lives.

Personal Recollections

He taught me his famous 9-Dot and 3 pictures of a woman exercises before my teens. My bride and I benefited from a special seminar he did with Dr. Truman Madsen on marriage and relationships.

I heard him for the last time in November of 2010. We recognized him as a Pioneer in Leadership. He and his wife graciously met with all of us on the board before the program. His presentation that evening summarized a life-time of research. He synthesized principle-based leadership, 8 habits, and his work (The Leader in Me) with children around the world into a comprehensive approach to life.

Stephen Covey left a legacy in the minds, hearts, and yes habits of global generations.

Monday we discover how David McCullough’s Brave Companions can inspire your career

No comments:

Post a Comment