Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Improve Yourself 2: Genshai—Don’t Make Anyone Feel Small

Kevin Hall photoThis continues our series on improving yourself to get the biggest raises & best promotions

Marsha had a small disability that barely hindered her work. She worked hard to earn a bachelor’s degree from a globally ranked private university. She interned at a training program where everyone respected and appreciated her easy-going personality, hard-work, and willingness to help others. She even volunteered at a community program where she impressed them with her compassion and competence. Everyone who knew Marsha respected her—except Marsha herself. She almost did not get her dream job, because they felt she lacked confidence.

Do Not Treat Others Small

We encourage you to read Kevin Hall’s book Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words. He writes of a Hindi word that “could have more meaning than Charity.”

Hall describes a conversation he had with the famous Viennese designer, Pravin Cherkoori.

“The word is Genshai…It means that you should never treat another person in a manner that would make them feel small.’…Pravin continued ‘As children, we were taught to never look at, touch, or address another person in a way that would make them feel small. If I were to walk by a beggar in the street and casually toss him a coin, I would not be practicing Genshai. But, if I knelt down on my knees and looked him in the eye when I placed that coin in his hand, that coin became love. Then and only then, after I had exhibited pure, unconditional brotherly love, would I become a true practitioner of Genshai.” (Aspire, 8% of Kindle version)

Do Not Treat Yourself Small

Genshai also refers to how you treat yourself. You cannot make yourself feel small and practice Genshai. Kevin Hall writes:

“The way I treat myself reflects the way I treat others.”

“When I treat myself with dignity and respect, it will be reflected in the way I treat others. If I treat myself with disdain and contempt, that will be reflected in the way I treat others.”

Friday we share the concept of Namaste to respect one another’s authenticity & uniqueness

This blog will improve as you submit comments, questions, and experiences. We will answer your questions in future blog posts. Please submit your comments and questions so we can answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment