Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Answer with a Question

This continues our series on answering interview questions
Question Guy 2In previous posts we established that you answer almost all interview questions in one of four ways:
  1. Hit home runs to highlight what you can for for the company
  2. Use your dessert tray to answer “Tell me about yourself” and other questions
  3. Answer with a question to gather information before providing an inadequate answer
  4. Reframe their thinking about your weaknesses
Today, we address the interview questions that require more information before answering. Sometimes interviewers ask questions to see how well you think on your feet (or usually in the chair). Other questions require you more information before you answer. Finally, some interviewers ask what I call bizarre questions just to see you react.
I will illustrate all of this type of question using just three examples.
“What do you expect as a starting salary?”
You lack information to answer this question. You don’t know how much they typically pay for their positions. You also don’t know enough about the position to recognize what would be the expected return on investment.
You may answer with one or two questions.
  • “What do you usually pay someone with my experience?”
  • “What do you usually pay for this position?”
  • “Before we discuss salary, We need to discuss the financial responsibilities associated with the position. What budget would I control and what savings or profits would you expect me to generate?”
“Do you have any questions for me?”
Obviously, you have to answer this questions because it invites questions. You must resist the urge to ask questions about insurance, benefits, or issues related to your personal gratification. Instead, focus your questions on discovering more about their expectations of the  job.
You may answer with one or two questions.
  • “I understand you want someone who can (list 2-3 skills or traits). Can you tell me anything else you seek in the person you fire for this position?
    • Follow-up with home run statements that relate to what they want.
  • “What else can I do to prove how well I will meet your requirements?”
“How many quarters would you have to stack to equal the Empire State Building?”
This question represents what I call “Bizarre  Questions”.   Microsoft originated the question to see how people think on their feet. The answer to the question must show your innovation and ingenuity.
You may answer with one or two questions.
  • “American or Canadian quarters?”
  • “After I count how many quarters would stack to six inches and double the number, I would divide it into the height of the Empire State Building. Can you tell me how tall the building is?”
  • “Do you want them stacked horizontally or vertically?”
Once you recognize that you need additional information to answer a question, you can select the right question to ask. Resist the temptation to assume you know all the information you need.
Tune in on Friday when I explore how to reframe their thinking about your weaknesses

No comments:

Post a Comment