Friday, April 26, 2013

Stop Saying Stupid Stuff 6: Report Progress About Work

say stupid things to your bossThis continues our series to help you stop saying stupid stuff that can stall your career

Randy worked for a branch of a national dry cleaning company. He wanted a promotion to manager. He thought he impressed both his manager and his district manager how qualified he was for the job. Instead, he kept saying stupid stuff that did not impress them. He attended one of our workshops and learned how to give his manager home run statements about his work. He received a promotion to manage another branch within 10 months.

Stupid Things People Say to Their Supervisors

You may say stupid things about your work to  your boss. They may include:

  • Failing to tell them anything about your work and progress (saying nothing is the most stupid)
  • Understating your progress or productivity “Work is fine. I’m doing all aright.”
  • Taking credit for someone else’s work “I have this idea to improve our work”
  • Bragging without basis in fact “I work harder than any of your other workers”
  • Using hyperbole or implied threats “I’m the best worker you have. You owe me!”
  • Leveling a real threat “I will find another job if you don’t promote me”
  • Arguing with their directions or defending your own “I don’t think you thought this through enough. You’re making a big mistake”

Impress Them with Your Work and Progress

Instead of saying stupid stuff, report what you have done in simple clear facts:

  • “You asked me to reduce errors on the production line. I identified three workstations that seem to produce more flaws. I trained the staff how to recognize problems before finishing the work and monitored those three workstations. This reduced flawed product from 23 out of 100 to 8 out of 100. Is that what you wanted?”
  • “You wanted me to increase my sales. I practiced overcoming client objections. I also met with our best sales rep, who helped me improve my closing techniques. Consequently, I increased sales by 11% generating an additional $750,000 in revenues.”

Monday we discuss how to avoid stupid stuff you may say when asking for a raise

No comments:

Post a Comment