Friday, April 19, 2013

Stop Saying Stupid Stuff 3: Make Them Want to Meet You

Help Wanted SignThis continues our series to help you stop saying stupid stuff that can stall your career

Pacheco had been looking for a job for three months. He focused his 17-year career on retail management. He followed our advice to visit or talk to at least 10 people a day. He struggled to schedule 10 meetings. He spent 3 months faithfully contacting 10 a day with no success. We role played what he said in his contacts. He said “I see you have a help wanted sign in your window. I would like to apply.” When we helped develop a new approach, he found a job in 1 week.

Samples of Stupid Stuff

Today, we will review some of the stupid stuff people say when trying to schedule meetings or interviews. You may say stupid stuff and not realize it. We want to help you recognize what not to say and what to say. For example:

  • “I’m looking for work and would like to schedule a meeting with you”
  • “I completed your online application. Could I schedule an interview?”
  • “I saw a ‘Help Wanted’ sign in your window. Can I talk to you?”
  • “So-and-so referred me to you about finding a job. When could we meet?”

Discover The Job They Want Done & Prove You Can Do It

People will welcome you into their office if they feel it will be worth their while. Therefore, your phone call must include facts that make them want to see you.

  • Ask questions to discover what they want done
    • Read the web site, press releases, and news articles
    • Talk to friends, suppliers, clients, or competition of the company
    • Question secretaries, clerks, and people doing the job you want to do
  • Prepare home run statements that share similar results to what they want
    • “I worked with the tax commission. As a result, they reduced our company’s property tax by $500,000.”
    • “I reduced the average time it took to deliver our pizzas by 10 minutes.”
    • “I increased sales by $254,000 a year.”

Monday we discuss how to stop saying stupid stuff in a job interview

No comments:

Post a Comment